It happened right over there, by the candy display and the drink cooler.

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of chatting briefly with a nice family I was in line with at the grocery store.  While their three adorable children wiggled and cheerfully spun in small circles or hopped on first this foot and then the other, the childhood version of patience, their parents talked to me about home schooling.

It caught my attention and something stuck in my craw, just a bit. A small, tiny, annoying thought just out of my reach.  Stuck. 

Home schooling.  It became fashionable some years ago after I was finished with my own education.  Not having children of my own, I never gave school much of thought after leaving.  I assumed that it carried on much the same way as it had when I was a large, bossy child.

Yay school! 

For the last few weeks I've had this little thing in my craw.  It's uncomfortable and it makes me pay attention to some things I've really never given a second thought.  Things like school.  Things like libraries.  Things like school lunches.  Immunizations. 

Although I realize I'm late to the game I must say I've realized a lot since that conversation.  Here in the U.S. our schools appear to be in a mess.  What's worse, by my way of thinking, is that we (my generation) seems to have responded to this mess with some kind of exodus.  Really?  We pulled our kids out of public schools?  From what I can see, if it is at all feasible, people pull their kids out and then blame the outside forces that conspired to ruin our educational system. 

While standing in line at the grocery store I saw a very large crevice open up in the ground and people were divided quite cleanly but all the resources seemed to land on one side of the gash.  




I am sure if I had children, I would never sacrifice their futures by putting them in a sub-par school system.  Never.  I would, however, seriously consider fighting for the integrity of my public school system.  I would consider them a part of that fight and that they would have a lot to learn about taking a longer view and about how democracy only works when we actively participate.  Actively.  Participate. 

Instead, I worry we are sending a message that capitalism trumps democracy.  I don't know about you but I am confident that making lots and lots of money is only rewarding if I live in a free society. Giving back to the community is something we must teach our children from the outset.  How will they learn to love what is best about our country if we teach them by example that there is nothing more important than winning, than chasing the dollar and that if circumstances dictate change, we change by buying better circumstances?   If mom and dad can afford to shield their young by using money, then our kids learn that instead of fighting the good fight and taking care of the communal property our tax dollars funded, we should take our "share" funding and go home.

It might not look like much but this building is important.  Crucial.  

The elementary school.  No religion is required to gain entrance.  All colors are welcome.  Rumor has it you can vote there.  If the kitchen is the heart of the home, the elementary school is the kitchen, or the heart, of the community.  Not church.  Church plays a hugely important role but it is not the heart of the community. 

Which brings me to my point.  If all the stay-at-home parents are literally staying at home, who is helping to take care of the schools?  I see plenty of discussion that we need to increase funding but I actually wondering if what we are missing is quite simply people who care.  You can't outsource passionate parents.  While I am certain that the home schooled children are properly educated and cared for,  I know for a fact that any school and the surrounding community would only benefit by having a lively, engaged and committed population ready to charge should the school lunch program start serving pink slime. (Egads).

My mom would have kicked the principals ass if they served this "lunch" in school.  
In all honesty, where did everybody go?  Why am I still paying taxes for this system everyone is so quick to abandon?   If you don't want it, can I get my money back or perhaps have it funneled into a high speed rail so I can get my commute time back?  Am I wrong? Do people take my tax dollars out of the crappy public school so their kids can study in a clean, healthy environment with organic oranges to snack on while the poor kids and I eat McDonalds for lunch? I think I'm right.  I think they are using my resources to better their kids at the expense of kids that honestly, I probably like a little more.


That's why I had to punch the lady that home schools her three children right in the grocery store. Hard. I bet her produce section is still a little tender. 

Your ever lovin', 

Miss Pierce 






Followers

Total Pageviews