Nothing compares to you

I think I've mentioned it once or twice here already but I've spent a lot of time doing a whole lot of nothing in the past few months.  Eventually, this gets boring.  After nagging a few of my old bosses to let me do some pro-bono admin work for them and telling myself I really *should* clean, I had to get out of the house.  I signed up on Friday of last week to volunteer on Saturday.  I spent the afternoon helping out the good folks at Hosea Feed the Hungry here in Atlanta.

Those of you that have volunteered probably know that any volunteer effort is typically not well organized.  This can be hugely frustrating for almost anyone but for a bossy perfectionist like myself, it was nothing short of a test of my will.  It was all I could do to keep myself from walking over the to person in charge, knocking her out and taking over.  Sweet Baby Jesus in Heaven.  Especially when I heard her tell one of the volunteers, "Bring that gaylord from Toys for Tots over here so we can inventory it." 

That was going too far!  You have to understand that during my tenure as an event planner in my last job, I decided that a toy drive would be a great match for our annual holiday party.  My thinking was simply this.  We work for a company that gives us so much every day and the holiday party they let us throw every year is over the top.  So, I, Miss Pierce decreed that if you wanted to gain entrance to the open, top shelf bar, caviar and various and assorted roast meats, you must arrive dressed to the nines and carrying, a new, unopened toy.  Luckily, the company I worked for had a tendency to hire just about the nicest people you would ever meet, so I didn't really have to lean on them too hard.  They are beyond generous and they accepted that I just liked to boss them around.  They brought toys!  What was initially an annoying task became a proud tradition that everyone looked forward to.  Prior to the holiday party I would often hear, "Miss Pierce!  I know which toy I am bringing for the toy drive this year!" and my heart would glow like a proud mother.  

Now this disorganized chick was hauling a gaylord of MY toys into (what looked like to me) a pointless inventory "system" that really wouldn't ever help anyone understand the number, variety or quality of the toys that had passed through these doors.  

This place was run down, dirty and depressing.  They didn't have enough shelves.  Their inventory system looked like it had been invented in the stone age and the volunteers were shuffling around in uncomfortable silence, useless warm bodies.  This was not the community building good will effort I signed up for the day before.  It was then, in a stew of judgement and distaste that I had a revelation. 

Shopping probably isn't the kind of help that most communities really need.  Yes, it feels good to give canned goods, clothes, cash and toys.  Blithely making a few purchases or writing a check really doesn't give the community all the support it needs.  It just doesn't.  They need us.  They need smart, successful, overworked people who know how to get things done there with them.  Not just once a year.  Consistently throughout the year.  

I know this because, sadly, a person cannot punch another volunteer in the head and simply take over her work.  She's doing her best and she is there day in and day out slogging through the reality of the need and the overwhelming chaos with which she is faced.  She is better person than I am.  If I were there consistently, I would be in charge because that's how I roll.  I would NEVER let volunteers roll those brand new little girl bikes with white tires on the dirty floor!  I can't say anything, can I?  I leave her here to do all the dirty work 365 days a year while I pat myself on the back for picking up a few extra toys at Target on my way to a fabulous holiday party every year.  

Damn. 

Here's the thing, folks.  Democracy doesn't work if we don't pitch in.  It is not a spectator sport.  I saw so much evidence of how much our communities are hurting and how greatly they need us to step in on Saturday.  They need barcode scanners, shelving and logistics help but what they need most of all is US.  

There was a member of the staff there on Saturday (he was not a general, either) a small man who reminded me of a very skinny, very black and very old Oompa Loompa.  He was so kind.  He took my hand at one point and said, "Santa Claus will be here next week.  Come back and bring your children.  Don't bring your husband."  

I think I probably will. 

Don't ever underestimate how important you are, my lovlies.  I promise you that if you are still breathing there is a reason why.  Please remember that the absolute most wonderful gift you have to give anyone is your time, attention and love.  

Over and out,

Miss Pierce



Followers

Total Pageviews